It is raining. Slow Steady. Not much wind. A steady falling.
I got a note that said poor West, Texas and looked at the news. A fertilizer plant blew up. West is in McLennan County which is next to Hill County where I grew up. We went to West for great food (Sulaks), Kolaches (The Village Bakery) and when I was older- cool bars and classic dance halls.
That must have been one hell of an explosion.
My thoughts and prayers are with the good people of West.
The Waco Tribune has listed many people who are helping and how to help (and if I ever need a reason why we need healthy newspapers this is it).
from the Waco Tribune
Officials have released a few links to aid West residents affected by Wednesday night’s explosion at the West Fertilizer Co.
Red Cross Safe & Well, at https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php
People can let others know that they are okay and where they are.
Individual offers of aid of any kind for West, TX residentshttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqD9h2VG3hDBdHN4ZmtGajdGY3hCWmp2eEVYMlFyTXc#gid=0
These Google Docs allow anyone to offer assistance and were used with success following the Boston Marathon explosions.
Offers of housing for those displaced by West, TX explosionhttps://docs.google.com/forms/d/1iUgQQikLFjziB3QzAhaVV-lnlqdllzUO4uhd24ryttg/viewform?pli=1
Like the previous link, similar Google Docs were used after the Boston Marothon bombings to aid anyone displaced.
Additional aid, compiled by International Initiatives, includes:
• To check on injured residents admitted to Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center call (254) 202-1100
• For family inquiries about patients at Scott & White, call (888) 394-4947
• Family inquiries about patients at Providence Health Center, call (254) 761-7200
• The Extraco Events Center will be setting up to take donations starting tomorrow at 9:00 am. For information call (254) 776-1660
• Carter Blood Care Center will accept donations beginning at 9 a.m. Thursday in Waco. Find more locations here.
• First Baptist Church of Lott has room for anyone needing a place to stay. Call (254) 829-2321
• American Red Cross crews from across Texas were sent to the site of an explosion at a fertilizer plant near Waco where multiple injuries have been reported. Red Cross spokeswoman Anita Foster said her group is working with emergency management officials in the town of West to find a safe shelter for residents displaced from their homes. To donate blood, find a location near you.
• The Aquilla ISD opened facilities for those seeking refuge. Please report to the gym entrance.
• Blair’s Cove Apartments in Waco offering housing to any West residents affected by the explosion at 2425 S. 21st St. (254) 447-0810
• Latham Springs Baptist Camp is open to displaced residents at 134 Private Road 223 in Aquilla.
• The Abbott gym is open to displaced residents.
• Valley Mills Nursing Home has rooms available for nursing home residents if placement is needed for any of the West nursing home residents. Call (254) 932-6288.
• First Baptist Church of Gholson is open for anyone who needs a place to stay.
• Gholson ISD open for those seeking shelter.
• Brazos Meadows Baptist Church at 625 S. Hewitt Dr., adjacent to Castleman Creek Elementary will be open for anyone who needs a place to stay.
• American Legion Post 121 in Elm Mott is open for displaced residents.
• Sykora Family Ford in West has opened for residents who need a safe place to rest.
Richard Karr Motors, 1101 N Valley Mills Dr. in Waco, is accepting donations for West families and will deliver items to Sykora Family Ford in West.
• Town Hall Estates in Hillsboro was taking in displaced residents.
• The Home Depot store in Bellmead will be open all night for those who need plywood, generators, etc.
• Both Peas & Tots and Smarty Pants consignment stores in Waco are accepting clothing donations in all sizes for those in West.
• The Road to Damascus Resource Center, 5034 Franklin Ave. in Waco, will be available as a drop-off site from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday through Sunday for donations. The center will accept monetary donations, canned goods, or any other necessities such as hygiene products.
Trisun Healthcare nursing home facilities are accepting patients who were evacuated from West-area nursing homes last night. Area locations:
Temple — Temple Living Center East, 1511 Marlandwood Road, (254) 899-6500
Temple — Temple Living Center West, 1700 Marlandwood Road, (254) 743-6200
Temple — Temple Living Center Western Hills, 512 Draper Drive, (254) 742-7500
Temple — Weston Inn Health Center, 2505 South 37th Street, (254) 298-7300
Temple — General questions, call Kendall Young, (254) 913-9563
Corsicana — Heritage Oaks Retirement Village, 3002 West 2nd Ave., (903) 872-5130
Corsicana — Heritage Oaks West Retirement Village, 3300 West 2nd Ave., (903) 874-5333
Corsicana — General questions, call Mark Carden, (214) 448-3366
It is still raining steady. Birds are starting to fly so maybe the rain is letting up. Or not.
Help if you can.